The Washerwoman

Thursday 29 July 2010

It is all happening in Shepton mallet this week!


As you may have seen on Niki's blog in recent weeks, there is a lot of activity in the town of Shepton Mallet at the moment.

Today I went over to see the next transformation and collect the items I had lent them for filming the previous era.


It is now the 1940's, and the streets are realistic with sandbags, taped windows and vintage vehicles....

This is the building (below) which was a 30's dress makers last week where I met the lovely Gilly Woo.
We wanted to see inside today, but sadly they were filming.
We had to console ourselves with a delicious lunch in Peppers (well recommended Niki!) surrounded by the cast having their last big meal before living on wartime rations for the next week. They were all suitably dressed in wonderful 40's attire, brilliant to see. For those of you who have not heard about this new programme. It is going to cover the history of the High Street, next will be the 50's, 60's and 70's, so watch this space! Belinda gave a very good explanation on her blog a while ago, click here to read it.

8 comments:

OhSoVintage said...

I've been following this on Niki's blog. When is it being shown on tv? Will have to watch to see you clothes on there.

WinnibriggsHouse said...

Everywhere looks fabulous. Just been reading all about the recent activity on Niki's blog, thanks for the link.

Lyn said...

Oh I love this era and it does look great. I can't wait to see the series on TV!
love
Lyn
xxx

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

So much nicer activity than what is happening in my street (garbage men collecting) I mentioned your Blog in my Friday post about the movie Enid this week if you get the chance to check it out. Have a great weekend. xx

The Vintage Knitter said...

I can't wait to watch the series on tv - thanks for posting the photos. I wish I had been visiting that day so that I could have had a wander round town (dressed up in vintage 40s make do and mend off course!)

BusyLizzie said...

thank you for your comments, the show is due to be shown on TV in the Autumn. I will be looking forward to it!

Josie-Mary said...

I know nothing about this, I must check out Niki's blog....can't believe I missed it!

Niki Fretwell said...

Hi Liz,
Lovely to see you again yesterday! You didn't look out of place yourself in your lovely floral dress! Glad you got all your items back (I got my Edwardian mannequin back this evening - phew! ;-))
A little birdy told me that the bombs are going to drop later this evening...hope my shop will still be there in the morning! ha!

Its going to be a great series, I'm sure...right up our street, so to speak!
For those who have asked you, hopefully I am right in saying that the programme will be called 'Step Back in Time' and will be shown on a Wednesday evenings, BBC1, for an hour for 6 weeks, as from November.

Have a lovely weekend,
Niki x

PS: Thanks again for your expertise re: the evening bag...I'm so pleased that I gave the lady the right info too...makes me think that perhaps I do know what I'm talking about sometimes! lol