The Washerwoman

Thursday 11 August 2011

Holiday Time!


 Many apologies for the lack of postings, comments and general visits to Blogland recently. I have been on my hols and instead of the usual trip to La Belle France, we did a rather exciting detour and went via Ireland!


I haven't been over to Ireland since 1993, so was a little apprehensive of the changes that may have occurred to one of my favourite places....


Yes, there has been a lot of building and a beautiful old cottage in the cove had been demolished... but the views were still breathtaking and the air was clean.


A "shop" had also sprung up in the lane (above) not exactly Tescos is it?!!


The hedgerows were full of flowers and I spotted this unusual white Hydrangea in the church yard.


The streets are still lined with painted cottages..... and boats...


We had lunch at this gorgeous place... Fish and chips, followed by the best sticky toffee pudding I have ever tasted!


After lunch we attempted to walk off the calories up the hill....


..to the church to look at these fantastic stained glass windows by Harry Clarke. My photographs haven't done them full justice, but I can assure you that the colours were breathtaking.





..and the faces, especially the eyes were especially compelling. Do google Harry Clarke for more amazing images of his work.


The next morning, we were sad leave Ireland and board a very large ferry for the next stage of our holiday. We had a fab "sea view" from our cabin! Part 2 of our adventures to follow...................


11 comments:

Hesta Nesta said...

Ireland looks stunning, I have only ever been to Belfast (which I loved) so one day I will have to try the South.
Jo xx

BusyLizzie said...

Thanks Jo, it is a beautiful place, despite the new-build homes in inappropriate places! x

Pomona said...

I just love the shop - just my sort!

Pomona x

garofit said...

Lovely, I want to go on this trip too! :)

Jelly Jam said...

Glad you've had a lovely time. What a fab little shop. I avoid supermarkets at all costs, sending Mr Jam instead. This would suit me fine!!
Ellie
x

BusyLizzie said...

Thank you for your comments, it was a very special trip. Looking forward to returning next year! Lizzie x

Lyn said...

What a great idea to go to France via Ireland, where did you sail too and from in Ireland?
The photos are fab, love that shop!
xxx

Jill said...

It looks like you had a great start to your holiday have never been to Ireland - would love to go. Look forward to hearing about the rest of your holiday.
Have a lovely evening.
Jillxx

Trixie@ the vintage bothy said...

Thanks for the trip, I would love to live in a place like that, I am currently thinking about Ceredigon. What a lunch! that's definately our sort of thing, did Mr W have a pint of the black stuff??
I have wondered if you were off on your travels or just working so hard like usual!
Can't wait for the next instalment....
T x

hens teeth said...

Lizzie...glad you had a good stay in Ireland. I hope you are a little rested.
I wanted to thank you for the heads up on Harry Clarke. I have not come across his work and I am smitten. What incredible work...from what little I have seen reminds me of a mix of Kay Neilson and Egon Schiele???

Redwoodhouse said...

Hi Lizzie,

Your Hols look fabby........

Are you going to be at the Jumble at Rangeworthy tomorrow by any chance as I would love another french white sheet similar to the one I got from you at Chipping. I am going along anyway and if you are going and read this in time and you have one could you please bring it along for me.

Thank you
Jan (Redwood House)

janatredwood@hotmail.co.uk